Sharon B. Cohen, CMC
A Senior Associate with SEG, Sharon provides expert advice and services to the public, broader public and not-for-profit sectors. She brings over 20 years of senior executive management and management consulting experience to her practice.
Sharon supports clients in the following service areas:
Shared Services and Service Improvement
- Strategies and advice to broader public sector and not-for-profit sector clients on shared services opportunities
- Feasibility assessments of specific shared services opportunities and integrated services delivery
- Shared services governance design and implementation planning
Restructuring and Start-ups
- Strategic repositioning reviews for broader public sector agencies
- Start- up operational planning and support for new or reorganized agencies
- Operational planning and support for organizational and agency wind downs, mergers and transformations
Planning and Performance Measurement
- Planning and frameworks for effective funding and budgetary systems
- Planning and delivering program reviews
Governance and Organizational Effectiveness
- Governance design for public policy implementation strategies
- Business sustainability strategies for public, broader public and not-for-profit organizations
- Strategies to support organizations in strengthening their policies and practices with respect to the management of personal information and personal health information.
Sharon has a proven track record in business strategy and solutions. She is a specialist in strategic problem solving, and in leading, facilitating and implementing change. She is known for her strengths as a leader, mentor and coach, and in building sustainable consensus. Sharon specializes in conceptualizing, communicating and successfully implementing new models of business practice.
Prior to starting her management consulting practice, Sharon was the CEO of Ontario Shared Services, at that time, one of the world’s largest public sector shared services organizations. During her tenure, the Ontario government came to be recognized as an international leader and innovator in the delivery of public sector shared services.
She has lectured on shared services applications in the not- for -profit sector, and her work will appear in a soon to be released publication from the Maytree Foundation in Toronto.
Ms. Cohen began work with the Ontario Public Service as an economist, and has had an extensive and varied career. She led the Ontario Human Rights Commission as Executive Director, and was the General Manager of the Ontario Science Centre. As a Chief Administrative Officer for a number of years, she led early models of common administrative services delivery for the Ontario Government. She has also contributed to work in agency and municipal reform, immigration and settlement, workforce equity and voluntarism.
In her voluntary capacity, Sharon is the currently President of Jewish Immigrant Aid Services, Toronto, as well as a member of the board of the Mood Disorders Association of Ontario.
She holds an Honours Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from York University, and a Master of Arts in Political Economy from the University of Toronto.
She has provided management consulting support to clients since 2006. Her clients have included
- Start-up support for new agencies including the new Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario
- Planning initiatives for several Ontario ministries, including Attorney General, Culture, Environment, Children and Youth Services
- Funding framework redesign for a major philanthropic organization
- Shared services feasibility reviews, opportunity identification, and design for not-for-profit agencies, commissions of inquiry and community- based organizations
- Privacy protection strategies for Ontario School Boards and for Ontario’s network of Community Care Access Centres.