Barbara Hewett is a Senior Associate of SEG, with expertise in procurement, regulatory effectiveness, accountability and operations. Her clients benefit from her extensive knowledge and practical experience gained in her successful career as a public executive. She has led large and small organizations in program delivery, policy, agency relations and service management.
Barbara supports clients in the following areas:
Procurement Advice and Specialized Services
- Lead and support all aspects of the procurement life-cycle, including:
- Develop effective procurement strategies and processes to achieve the client’s objectives;
- Support the preparation of procurement documents (e.g. RFI, RFQ, RFP, evaluation guidelines, scoring manuals, etc.);
- Train evaluators and advise on proposal evaluation to achieve a fair, defensible selection of a fully qualified proponent; and
- Support the development of briefing materials throughout the process for decision-makers, and interim and final reports to document the process.
- Monitor activities and review documents throughout the procurement process to confirm fairness, consistency and transparency, as well as compliance with relevant procurement policies and procedures.
- Advise and assist in contract negotiations and vendor management, including dispute resolution. Barbara has an advanced certificate in Dispute Resolution from an Ontario university./li>
Business and Organizational Transformation, Alignment and Organizational Effectiveness
- Accountability relationships between ministries and agencies
- Accountability instruments such as memoranda of understanding
- Performance frameworks and reporting mechanisms
- Building effective relationships
- Regulatory Effectiveness
Background and Qualifications
Barbara has supported clients in developing procurement project plans that meet business needs, developing effective procurement documents, and facilitating effective and efficient procurement processes. She has monitored large and complex public sector procurement processes to advise on fairness issues and to provide independent confirmation that the procurement project has demonstrated openness, fairness, consistency and transparency throughout its design and implementation.
Prior to joining SEG, Barbara was an executive for over 20 years in the public sector responsible for delivering complex, innovative and high value procurements and managing contracted services. Barbara successfully delivered policy and program changes in partnership with public agencies, built strong relationships with service providers and stakeholders, and led regulatory modernization. She has deep knowledge of a wide range of governance and accountability relationships within the public and broader public sector. She has a Master of Arts Degree from the University of Toronto.